Who Needs CPC?

If you’re asking ‘Do I need a CPC?’ take a look at the following information, which talks about who needs CPC training and will help you understand whether you’re affected.

Any drivers of lorries and vans over 3.5 tonnes, and passenger carrying vehicles carrying nine or more people, will need the CPC as well as their vocational licence. Without it, you can’t legally drive the vehicle.

If you’re an employer, you are legally obliged to ensure drivers of such vehicles hold the CPC, and ensure that drivers renew their qualification every five years.

In certain circumstance you may not need CPC certification, even if you’re driving a large goods vehicle or passenger carrying vehicle. It depends on the vehicle and what the vehicle is being used for.

See our exemptions page for more info.

You can move in and out of an exemption, so be aware of this if you’re looking at who needs CPC training. For instance, a bus mechanic would be exempt while driving a bus to check that it had been repaired, but would need to hold a Driver CPC if they also drove a bus on a passenger carrying service.

If you need help with your CPC training you can call us today on 0333 123 1160, email info@driveline-training.co.uk, or alternatively contact Jeremy on 07970 528058.